DUE: Tuesday, May 8, 2018 by 3:30 pm.
Final Project 2: 12 page Accordion Booklet
In this Final Project you will create an accordion booklet with 12 distinct pages. This book will be printed on tabloid cardstock.(11×17″) Example: Three 4.5×6″ pages will fit on each tabloid print.
You are tasked with the following:
- Coming up with a theme for your booklet.
- Incorporating Illustrator and Photoshop knowledge to complete design of 12 pages worth of material
- Create and Use template for printing correctly
- Assembling the booklet correctly
- Post everything! Including: 250 words about your booklet, 75 word mind map or list to figure out theme and content, sketches, screenshots, process photos and final pictures of booklet.
Worth: 200 pts.
You can use sketches, photos, drawings, illustrations, type in both hand-drawn and digital format, but your booklet cannot be entirely hand-made/hand-drawn. Your booklet must incorporate elements from Photoshop and Illustrator.
Look here for inspiration:
Sketches Due at end of class on Tuesday! 4/24.
Go purchase a t-shirt for printing by 4/26! We will be printing on that day! (Michaels has t-shirts 3 for $10!)
Create a sketch for that may be used in a t-shirt graphic. Everyone will create a sketch. I will take that sketch and vectorize it to become a vinyl stencil.(Unless your sketch is already vectorized) We will use this stencil on a silkscreen frame and print our own t-shirts designs.
Due Date: Apr 17, 2018
Create your own unique kawaii inspired characters. Be original. Look online for inspiration. Sketch. Refine and Submit. Once you have a finalized sketch, scan into computer and trace using PEN TOOL in ILLUSTRATOR. If you are not comfortable with using the pen tool, practice more with the class exercises or work in chunks.
You will also illustrate the name of your character in bold lettering using the Pen Tool. No use of type with the TYPE TOOL! You must create type from sketch to PEN TOOL.
Go here for inspiration:
In this Project we will explore the subtleties of character design using kawaii style. Design a unique kawaii character or characters using Adobe Illustrator. Your thumbnails should be refined and polished so you have a good idea of how you will finish in Illustrator. Think about small details and color.
Final Print and mount will be 22 x 17″. We may print small given the “cuteness of our subject matter.
We will be making trading cards!
Post final character as well as sketches in one post.
**Feeling stuck?, imagine your favorite movie characters as kawaii characters.**
In this addendum to Project 3: 1940’s Poster.
We will work on your concept for your poster design. We will discuss lists and mind maps, internet research, Pinterest, etc.
Try to answer the following questions when doing your research:
- What was happening during the 1940s?
- Out of the myriad of things that were going on, what interests you?
- How can your concept align with your interests?
- What can I photograph that would add to my design?
- What can I draw that would add to my design?
- How will I compose these elements for my design?
Due at the end of class today:
- list of 10 researched 1940s concepts.
- Mind Map of “final” concept (50 word min)
- list of 10 photos that might strengthen your design.
- list of 10 illustrations (things you can’t photograph) that might strengthen your design.
- 3-5 thumbnails of compositions (hand-drawn or digital)
- Post everything is one post for P03!
15-20 photos of objects
Final Due: 3/27 end of class
With this design you’ll create a composition by combining imagery inspired by the 1940s. To do this, you’ll use overlay effects, filters and exposure to create a realistic, hot, starched feel, and will place shapes to produce abstract designs.
In addition, use brushes to replicate clouds, dust and grime, how to add foreground blur to objects to give the impression of depth, and will also see how the Warp tool can manipulate shapes.
We will also talk about color theory, vector shapes and type. What will your message be? What was going on in the 40’s? (War, technology, industrialization, culture, climate) Will this be a US centric design or focus on another countries’ experience? How will color be used?
- 15-20 photos of objects
- 5-10 photos of textures
- Color palette for design
- 3-5 composition sketches
- 24×36″ final composition at 300ppi.
P02: What’s In Your Head?
Due: Feb 27th. end of class.
What goes on inside that noggin’ of yours? Use hand-drawn illustrations to accompany your portrait. This portrait should be about things that interest you, things that run around in your head or things that occupy your mind on a daily basis. Incorporate your drawings to become apart of your head. Be creative! Explore placement, scale and dissection.
Use all of your Photoshop talents that you have learned so far. Final image must be in Black and White.
- Black and White(grayscale final image)
- Posted, 10-15 thumbnail sketches (inked) we will work on scanning in class.
- Posted, headshot
- Posted and printed, final design
- Posted, 5 composition sketches
- Posted, Notes related to content
- post everything in one post!
Create a composition using only hand-drawn sketches and a photograph of yourself. No other photos are allowed.
The final submission must be in Black and White (grayscale). 24×36″ at 300 ppi. PSD file!
***Final Submission: Merge layers to make file smaller in size.
In Illustrator, we learned how to add type to our box template.
As we move further along in the Project we will import our template into photoshop, add imagery/design.
You saved the illustrator file to your desktops, so you should be able to change it whenever you want.