DUE DATE: 12/14, Thursday, 3:20pm.
I have chosen to offer up a number of final projects this semester. These Final Projects can be done in shorter period of time, but I want you to stay on point with CRAFTSMANSHIP. The following YouTube video list will help you get started and hopefully spur some creativity when designing your own artwork. Good Luck!
Please choose 2 from list below and what is required for each:
- 2-3 sketches for each
- Save and post as Final Project.
- Post all sketches, images and notes.
- Paragraph with final post describing your thought process, not only what you did, but why you did it.
- Final 24×36″ file.
- Final PSD or AI file given to professor for printing! You can pick up prints at the beginning of next semester.
Logo design for “your” sports team.
Simple Geometric Character Design
Double Exposure Effect
Retro Style Abstraction
Golden Ratio Logo!
Please have a model ready to printed by Tuesday end of class, NOV 21!
(Entire project due at end of semester)
Structural Packaging and Design
In this project, we will use the templates in Paul Jackson’s book STRUCTURAL PACKAGING to design boxes for toys that we will 3D Print. So this project will have two elements.
1) A designed package for your toy and
2) the toy itself.
If you have not gone through the tutorials for TINKERCAD, I suggest you do. These tutorials will help you out a great deal. Your designs should be 100% original. We are not interested in creating a toy that already exists.
You should also be thinking of a name for your toy and a design for your box. Will your box be a cage for a terrible monster? Or will it be a cute nest design for something adorable?
- Notes on ideas (mind map), posted
- sketches of toy design, posted
- sketches of box design, posted
- final toy(s) for display, posted
- final printed and folded box for display, posted
- additional packaging materials like instructions, etc. would be a great addition, posted
Everything should be posted.
P05: Hand-Drawn Type and Movie Quote
Due Date: end of class on 16th.
Sift through you knowledge of movies and quotes that you might like illustrating. This project will be all about converting the romance and nuance of the hand-drawn into our illustration. You may not use type outright via the Text Tool! You may choose to trace it using pen and paper, but no drawing on the computer! This must me with pen/pencil and paper!
- Inspriational images: At least 5 posted.
- Sketches: at least 5 posted!
- Final work: 24×36″, posted. (remember to reduce the image to around 1000px)
Abstraction and Color
Due Date: End of class Thursday, 10/24
We have an inherent nature to create something we recognize–house, a tree, a smiley face. We can’t help it. This Project will help you to see something past the cliche’.
Abstraction, like looking in the clouds, can remind us of any number of things, but not in an exact way. In this project we need to steer clear of realism and recognizable things.
Gather 5 different objects that you can either scan or photograph. If photographed, make sure that you fill the viewfinder with your object utilizing maximum size. Also, photograph against a white background. Scanning objects eliminates both of these hurdles, but if you have to photograph, you may.
Using objects, assemble into a custom brush or custom brushes and create an abstract background at least 24×36 inches. Crop interesting sections of your background. These cropped sections will be the “best” parts of your background.
**Leave a 1″border of white all the way around your composition, use guides to help you do this.**
Using color theory and/or Adobe Color Themes, experiment with color choices. And finally use Blending Modes to blend colors together with chosen abstraction.
The best work will be displayed in 24×36 frames.(4 frame limit) Other work will be displayed in 18×24 frames.(5 frame limit)
- 5 elements posted (photos or scans) Due by Thursday, October 19!
- Custom Brush samples, posted if using
- At least 3 “best” cropped versions, posted
- Final colorized piece, printed and mounted, posted
P02: Cosmic Canvas
Due Date: 10/10 (end of class)
Explore the universe as you create your personal Cosmic Canvas. Use your talents in lighting and coloring techniques to add charm to your work. This has a 70’s/80’s vibe so search out cosmic art to inspire.
I expect to see your Photoshop talents put to use including, but not limited to:
- Layer Masks
- Fills, Strokes and Patterns
- Vector Shapes
- Burning and Dodging
- Layer Effects
- Color Theory practice
- Filters – Limit these to Blur, Distort, and Render as you can get “out of hand” with filters.
- Blending modes
- Scale, proportion, line, shape, texture, pattern, color, repetition, positive, negative, value.
- Adjustment Layers
- Clipping Mask
- Locking pixels, Locking Layers, Grouping, Aligning, Guides
As stated before, the best work will be printed large format. This in an incentive for you to concentrate on composition, craftsmanship and concept.
- Post 5-10 inspirational images
- Post and print Final composition.(22×33, 2 inch white border on bottom, portrait) (21×34, 2″ border on bottom, if landscape)
P01: What’s In Your Head?
Due: Sept 14th. end of class.
What goes on inside that noggin’ of yours? Use hand-drawn illustrations to accompany your portrait. This portrait should be about things that interest you, things that run around in your head or things that occupy your mind on a daily basis. Incorporate your drawings to become apart of your head. Be creative! Explore placement, scale and dissection.
Use all of your Photoshop talents that you have learned so far. Final image must be in Black and White.
- Black and White(grayscale final image)
- Colored version of final image.
- Posted, 10-15 thumbnail sketches (inked) we will work on scanning in class.
- Posted, headshot
- Posted and printed, final design
- Posted, 10 composition sketches
- Posted, Notes related to content
- post everything in one post!
Create a composition using only hand-drawn sketches and a photograph of yourself. No other photos are allowed. The final submission must be in Black and White (grayscale). 22×17″ at 300 ppi. Print and mount to matboard.
We will also do another version in color. This added color element will be painted in over our black and white images.